4th Annual Charity Handicapping Contest at the Meadowlands Racetrack
Wednesday, May 10, 2023
Ten local New Jersey charitable organizations have been selected to compete in the Meadowlands Charity Handicapping Contest on Saturday, May 13th. The Contest offers a $15,000 total donation/prize pool, with every charity receiving a donation. Prizes will be awarded as follows: 1st Place: $5,000, 2nd Place: $3,000, 3rd Place: $2,000, 4th Place: $1,500, 5th Place: $1,000, 6th-10th: $500.
The participating charities have different missions aimed at improving the lives of people and animals living in the Garden State. The participating charities are:
- 200 Club of Bergen County enriches the community by supporting the families of law enforcement, fire and EMS personnel in the event of their death or injury. They ensure our future by providing scholarships and assistance to agencies that protect us. org
- It is the mission of Team Velvet Inc. to provide non-mounted equine mental health services to children ages 5-12 who have experienced trauma within an environment of natural horsemanship and good land stewardship; to develop a referral infrastructure for these services and to provide public education on the topic of child trauma. Team Velvet – Horse Facilitated Child Trauma Therapy | Flemington, NJ
- Act Now Foundation Inc. raises awareness and educates communities about Alzheimer’s disease, prevention and early detection; to provide support, education, evaluations testing, long-term care planning, resources and advocacy in order to improve the quality of life for families living and struggling with Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias. org
- Round 2 Resources is a not-for-profit organization committed to protecting the environment. We accept all donations and redistribute them back into our community. By redirecting resources to people & organizations in need, R2R prevents usable goods from going into a landfill and recycles unusable items. When donations are collected by Round 2, they are matched against our Community Wish Lists. Once a match is made, that item is redistributed back into the community to fulfill the requesting organization or client. Being a resource to other organizations and connecting donors to recipients in efforts to help one another, R2R is able to serve every class of charitable organization without discrimination. We are not fighting to champion one group or cause, we are fighting for the world! R2R – Round 2 Resources
- The Travis Mills Foundation supports post-911 recalibrated veterans and their families through various programs that help these heroic men and women overcome physical and emotional obstacles, strengthen their families, and provide well-deserved rest and relaxation. travismillsfoundation.org
- The Helping Horseshoe Therapeutic Riding Club has been established to provide exceptional, safe, fun and educational Equine Assisted Activities to individuals with and without special needs, of all ages and abilities. Helping Horseshoe also provides horses with a second career keeping them from becoming part of the unwanted horse population. The Helping Horseshoe Therapeutic Riding Club has been established as a not for profit corporation in the effort to provide quality instruction by an experienced certified instructor at an affordable price. Helping Horseshoe Therapeutic Riding Program
- Community Treasures of Jersey City gives out FREE clothes, and commodities, food items, household goods, resources and other vital information, to anyone in need no questions asked. Through CTJC (we) act as liaison, community resources, outreach, organizers, for Jersey City low income residents, undocumented, disabled and/or persons with emergency needs for FREE, (no documentation). CTJC is proactive in the Ward F of Jersey City NJ and beyond. https://m.facebook.com/groups/lovecommunitytreasures/?ref=share&mibextid=l066kq
- The mission at Fighting H.A.R.D. Foundation is to help children with rare diseases and chronic illnesses to not feel alone. We started the foundation in 2015 when we were just 11 and 10 years old so that we could help other children like us who were sick. We have grown so much over the years, and we are now able to do so much more thanks to incredible sponsors and generous donors, along with incredible community opportunities such as this! We are able to accomplish our mission by sending care packages to children with special needs, purchasing medical supplies not covered by insurance, assisting with travel costs as many of these families must travel for care of a specialist for rare conditions, and by providing resources and support for these kiddos and their families. In fact, one of our special programs includes horseback riding lessons as many of the children adore spending time with the horses. We host many gatherings for the families to help them to feel less alone in their battles, but this is surely a favorite! We also help to raise awareness for rare diseases (they are not so rare!) and offer financial assistance, dinners, fun nights out, and so much more to these wonderful and very special kids! fightinghardfoundation.org
- Trot-Trot is a program to help educate the public on the retraining and history of the off-track standardbred, promote them in second careers, and an adoption program that works with the racing industry to find safe homes for retired standardbred racehorses by providing retraining under saddle, rehab, and matching horses with approved adopters. https://www.trottrot.org/
- The mission of the Boys & Girls Club of Clifton is to empower and inspire young people, especially those who need us most, to realize their full potential as productive, responsible, and caring members of society. Through diverse programming and positive adult mentorship, we aim to create a safe and supportive environment that promotes academic success, healthy lifestyles, and character development. Our goal is to ensure that every child who walks through our doors has the opportunity to thrive and succeed in life. bgcclifton.org
For the Charity Handicapping Contest, organizations will select one (1) horse in each of the 10 designated Meadowlands live races. The organizations will amass a mythical bankroll if their selection officially finishes first, second or third in the designated race. Official $2 WPS (Win, Place, Show) payoffs will be added to the mythical bankroll. Official race results will serve as the order of finish. The organization that accumulates the highest mythical bankroll is the winner.
The participating organizations are encouraged to make it a night at the races for their volunteers and employees. Each organization will also have the opportunity to make winner’s circle presentations and be featured on the track’s jumbotron.
“This is one of our feel good promotions,” said Jason Settlemoir, COO and GM of Meadowlands Racing & Entertainment. “It not only brings new people out to experience and bet at the racetrack, it also helps to support and advance our community.”
For information on racetrack events visit playmeadowlands.com