3rd Annual Charity Handicapping Contest at the Meadowlands Racetrack
Saturday, May 7, 2022
Nine local New Jersey charitable organizations have been selected to compete in the Meadowlands Charity Handicapping Contest on Saturday, May 14th. The Contest offers a $14,500 total donation/prize pool, with every charity receiving a donation. Prizes will be awarded as follows: 1st Place: $5,000, 2nd Place: $3,000, 3rd Place: $2,000, 4th Place: $1,500, 5th Place: $1,000, 6th-9th: $500.
The participating charities have different missions aimed at improving the lives of people and animals living in the Garden State. The participating charities are:
- North Jersey Friendship House a non-profit organization that’s mission is to build the skills of individuals with varying abilities and developmental needs by providing, within a safe haven, comprehensive clinical treatment, vocational training and work opportunities in order to achieve meaningful and productive lives. njfriendshiphouse.org
- Wayne Township Police Athletic League organized for the purpose of fostering and encouraging in the youth of Wayne Township, a spirit of loyalty and faith in American traditions and institutions through participation in constructive movements and endeavors for the promotion and safeguarding of their interests and general welfare: to promote a spirit of benevolent friendship, goodwill, and tolerance and cultivate and improve their moral standards in order to more effectively combat juvenile delinquency; to provide meeting places where the youth of Wayne may enjoy every educational and social benefit and to participate in athletic activities under competent supervision; and to acquire, lease, hold, use mortgage and dispose of real and personal property to carry out the aforesaid purpose. waynepal.org
- Act Now Foundation Inc. raises awareness and educates communities about Alzheimer’s disease, prevention and early detection; to provide support, education, evaluations testing, long-term care planning, resources and advocacy in order to improve the quality of life for families living and struggling with Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias. actnowfoundation.org
- Friendly Sons of St. Patrick of Hunterdon County aims to promote, embrace and enjoy Irish-American culture in a positive and progressive manner. Founded in 2008 the FSSP has raised and distributed more than $250,000 to families in Hunterdon County, NJ. FSSPHunterdon.com
- Homeless Animal Adoption League is an all cat all volunteer rescue and adoption facility located in Clifton, NJ. Our mission is to provide a clean, loving environment for cats and kittens until a forever home is found, no matter how long it takes. We also provide humane education to the community.HAALNJ.org
- Standardbred Pleasure Horse Organization of New Jersey a non-profit organization founded to promote the Standardbred as a pleasure riding and driving horse by exposing the public to their performances through equine events. Whatever the discipline is, eventing, western pleasure, driving, hunter/jumper, trail riding or dressage, our mission is to let the public know that the Standardbred is a very versatile breed. sphonj.org
- Horse Rescue United saves horses of all breeds from abandonment, abuse, neglect, and slaughter. We specialize in retraining and rehoming Standardbreds. Whenever possible, HRU purchases slaughter-bound horses from auction, and also assists owner surrenders before they end up in the wrong hands. http://horserescueunited.org/
- Horse Park of New Jersey at Stone Tavern, Inc assists and advises the State of New Jersey in certain phases of the development, preservation, and operation of designated acreage in the Assunpink Area in Upper Freehold Township for the purpose of establishing a horse park. We offer a wide range of equine activities which are educational, competitive and recreational in nature, such as clinics, seminars, demonstrations, programs for the handicapped, trail rides, horse shows, combined events, polo, dressage, hunt races, rodeos and driving Horseparkofnewjersey.com
- CBH Care, Inc. has a mission to provide the optimum in behavioral healthcare that is responsive to consumer and community needs. We treat individuals with respect and dignity regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, disability, illness or age. We are committed to accessible care that is delivered in a cost-effective manner. We will provide this care with creative and responsive treatment strategies. Those services are supported by the recruitment and continuing development of the highest quality care providers. https://www.cbhcare.com/
For the Charity Handicapping Contest, organizations will select one (1) horse in each of the 10 designated Meadowlands live races. The organizations will amass a mythical bankroll if their selection officially finishes first, second or third in the designated race. Official $2 WPS (Win, Place, Show) payoffs will be added to the mythical bankroll. Official race results will serve as the order of finish. The organization that accumulates the highest mythical bankroll is the winner.
The participating organizations are encouraged to make it a night at the races for their volunteers and employees. Each organization will also have the opportunity to make winner’s circle presentations and be featured on the track’s jumbotron.
“This is one of our most, if not the most, feel good promotions we run,” said Jason Settlemoir, COO and GM of Meadowlands Racing & Entertainment. “It not only brings new people out to experience and bet at the racetrack, it also helps to support and advance our community.”
For information on racetrack events visit playmeadowlands.com